Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.
Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.

Photograph Album of the Philadelphia & Western Railway and the Lehigh Valley Transit.

Original photograph album containing 55 photographs and one photo postcard of the Philadelphia & Western Railway, and the Lehigh Valley Transit suburban and interurban trolleys and railcars, all photos captioned on the back with the transit line, car number and type, location where the photograph was taken, and the date, some with builder name and year of construction, the photographs including passenger cars, center door passenger cars, multiple units, bullet train cars, freight motor cars, work car, double trucks, lightweight trolleys, parlor cars, the Liberty Bell Limited, and the Easton Limited, with photograph locations in and around Philadelphia and its surrounding towns including the 69th Street Station in Upper Darby, Villanova, Ardmore Junction, Strafford, Bethlehem, Allentown, and Easton, and several noting streetcar and railway car manufacturing companies including J.G. Brill, Cincinnati, St. Louis, and G.C. Kulhman, almost all photos dated either 1941 or 1946. Photographs are attached to thick black paper pages with mounting corners, several with handwritten descriptions in pencil below the photograph. Most of the photos measure 2-3/4 x 4-1/2 inches, with a small handful measuring 3-1/2 x 5-3/4 inches. Album size oblong 8vo. Embossed black cloth boards bound with a black cord. Various (Philadelphia), 1941-1946.

The Philadelphia & Western Railway was incorporated on May 21, 1902, with the original plan of it being the eastern link of a transcontinental railroad system connecting to the Western Maryland Railroad. Its first train ran on May 22, 1907, and after several expansions and difficulties, was renamed the Philadelphia and Western Railroad in 1946 before being sold in 1954, with the last train running in 1956. Until 1951, the P&W also connected with the Lehigh Valley Transit Company's Liberty Bell route. In 1939, the LVT purchased a number of lightweight high speed cars known as "Red Devils" from the defunct Ohio interurban Cincinnati and Lake Erie line, which are photographed here as well. Two of the photographs are also annotated on the back "H.P. Soll, Allentown". A wonderful visual record of Philadelphia transportation history. Book ID: 50269

Price: $950.00