1918. 2 vols.: XI, 261 pp. text volume with an introduction on the role of Thessaloniki in Byzantine history and information on the early churches, mosaics, and frescoes of the city, also known as Salonika, including the Rotunda of St. George, the Basilica of Eski Djouma, the Church of St. Demetrius (Hagios Demetrios), the Hagia Sophia, and the Panagia Chalkeon, scholarly notes including bibliographic information, bibliography, indices, and 108 text illustrations from photographs; followed by a volume of 68 fine plates (13 in color), including mosaics, floor plans, architectural elevations, inlay, sketches, and other architectural and decorative details. Text vol. good, plate vol. with some minor soiling and scattered minor foxing, plate XL with repaired tears. Sml. folio. Text vol. newer half-leather with marbled boards and raised spine, original wrpps. bound in; plate vol. orig. half-cloth printed boards portfolio, contents loose as issued. Some minor soiling and age-darkening to boards of plate vol. Paris (Leroux) 1918. (Monuments de l'Art Byzantin IV). Chamberlin 535.
Thessaloniki was founded in 315 BC by Cassander of Macedon. By the Roman period it was an important city, growing to become the second largest and wealthiest city of the entire Byzantine Empire before being conquered by the Ottomans in 1430. Many important Byzantine monuments still stand there today. These volumes comprise an important work on the early churches, mosaics, and frescoes of the city. Book ID: 10113