1752. XXXI, 600 pp. extensive description and history of the ancient Basilica of Saints Alessio and Bonifacio, near Santa Sabina, through the mid-fifteenth century, extensive and detailed notes including bibliographic material, numerous transcriptions of inscriptions, numerous appendices, index, engraved frontispiece, 13 engraved plates. 4to. Vellum, title stamped in gilt to spine, some slight soiling and rubbing. Rome (Apollinea/Barbiellini) 1752. Rossetti 7347; Cicognara 3803; NUC 410, 392; Ranghiasci 486.
Founded between the 3rd and 4th centuries, the church was first restored by Pope Honorius III in 1216 and then twice more in subsequent centuries. With a 16th century-style facade and a Romanesque portico and campanile, the church is a conglomeration of historical architectural styles. Nerini was the abbot of the church's accompanying Hieronymite monastery, and the volume's focus is on the architectural character of the church and its artworks prior to a large-scale restoration and redecoration carried out in 1750. His intention was to publish a second volume on the more recent history of the church and monastery, but Nerini was promoted from abbot to General of the Hieronymite Order, and a second volume was never written. Book ID: 2040