An 18th-century scroll containing 12 hand-colored engraved views of Paris, including the College de Louis le Grand, the Place des Victoires, the Avenue de Paris at Versailles, La Samaritaine on Pont Neuf, the Jardin des Plantes, the interior of Saint-Séverin, and Pont de la Concorde, joined continuously to form one long scroll, one view with a hand-written inscription in ink to verso which reads "12 Views of Paris in 1759," reinforced with two canvas strips running along the top and bottom edges on verso, each end attached to a cylindrical wooden roller by a strip of linen, some soiling and rolling creases, several repairs, a few small tears or holes. Each view approx. 13 1/4" x 19 1/4". Paris, mid-18th century.
Jacques Chéreau was a portrait engraver, printmaker, and publisher of optical prints working in a neighborhood of printmakers in Paris at Rue Saint-Jacques cited on prints as "au Grand St. Remy". "au Coq", or "au dessus de la Fontaine St. Severin." He studied the making of vue d'optique prints in England, and then returned to France to work with his brother François Chéreau, who in turn had studied under two well-known French engravers. Optical prints, also called "vue d'optique", were popular from approximately 1740 to 1820, and were meant to be viewed through a special scope or device with a convex lens and mirror, which worked together to produce an optical illusion of depth. These types of prints often have exaggerated lines, bright hand-colors, and legends written in reverse along the top of the image. Jacques and François Chéreau were considered among the most prolific publishers of optical prints in Paris. As of April 2016, WorldCat does not show any listings for this item. There are a few holdings of some of the individual prints which make up the scroll, but none in North America. Book ID: 48456