Slim volume, x, 30, (2) pp., in both Latin and Italian, detailing the layout of the Villa Adriana (Hadrian's Villa) at Tivoli and its surrounding land and gardens, including the amphitheater, temples, courtyards, stairways, fountains, walls, baths, aqueducts, olive groves, vineyards, and the various rooms and corridors within the villa itself, each item in the extensive list identified with a letter and number which corresponds to the two large engraved folding plates which follow the text, the two together forming an oversized and detailed map of the villa and its surroundings and secondary structures. Extremely minor scattered toning. Large 4to. Some minor browning and staining to front cover. Half-vellum with decorative boards. Rome (Apollo presso Campo de' Fiori nel Palazzo della Farnesina) 1751. (Colophon: Rome, Eredi Babiellini, 1751).
Pirro Ligorio was a famous architect, garden designer, and antiquarian. He worked as the Vatican's Papal Architect under Popes Paul IV and Pius IV, and designed the fountains at Villa d'Este at Tivoli for Cardinal Ippolito II d'Este. It was under Ippolito II d'Este that Ligorio led the first excavations at Hadrian's Villa in the 1560s, with the goal at the time being to decorate the Villa d'Este with marbles and other decorative objects found at the site. He documented his work, creating the first study of the ruins. Ligorio may have created a map of the villa, but his drawings were never published. Credit for the first comprehensive survey of the villa site, including the detailed map, is given to Francesco Contini. Book ID: 49003