Unpaginated (48 pp.) volume containing black-and-white photographs of houses and buildings designed by Ohio architect Charles E. Firestone, including the Hotel Northern and the residences of Herbert W. Hoover and Frank G. Hoover in Canton, the Hoover factory building, the residence of Mr. C.L. Eshleman in Cleveland, the residences of Mr. William C. Curry and Mrs. Walter Scott in Wooster, and other buildings, with several pages of advertisements in the rear of the volume. Some scattered foxing. Large 4to. Original wrpps., some foxing, moderate wear. Canton/Columbus, Ohio (Denny A. Clark) 1923.
Charles Firestone was a native of Stark County, Ohio, who studied architectural engineering at the University of Michigan before returning to Ohio to begin his career. Over 5 decades, he designed nearly 200 buildings, ranging from houses to corporate and civic structures, including schools, fairgrounds, churches, and houses. According to a Canton history scholar, Firestone designed more than 125 schools and related structures, a dozen homes in Canton's Ridgewood neighborhood, and 20 homes in the Avondale neighborhood, not to mention additional public and private buildings. Firestone was honored as a Fellow in the American Institute of Architects in 1947, only the second from Canton to receive such an honor (after Guy Tilden, in 1889). Incredibly scarce; as of February 2019, we could not find any record of this volume on WorldCat. (Canton Rep, "Charles Firestone put his architectural stamp on Stark County, 10/16/2017). Book ID: 49042